Proudly Serving Madison since 1969

For Immediate Help... Call now!

Consulting Services Tax & Accounting

Experienced Tax Problem Solvers • Specializing in Business & Individual Tax Solutions

These 5 Documents Your Accountant Needs

Posted on: December 9th, 2016 by consultingsrvs No Comments

These 5 Documents Your Accountant Needs

These 5 Documents your Accountant Needs

Tax time can be stressful for small business owners, especially when you’re trying to get all of your receipts together and trying to think back on everything you did and spent last year. Although your accountant can help sort and summarize your statements, it will be less expensive if you do it yourself. Here is a list of five documents Consulting Services Inc. will need from you to do your taxes.

  1. Your Financial Statements

Financial statements are your financial documents comprised of balance sheets, income statement, and cash flow statement. For your tax purposes, your income statement is the one our accountants will use the most, but we will also want your  business assets and liabilities.

  1. A List of all Capital Asset Activity

If you have bought, disposed of or sold any of your capital assets in your company during that year, you will have to account for that in your tax return. The accounting software you have will let you print out the list of all of your capital-asset, that list gives our accountants all detail needed to classify any changes. If your listing does not specify the exact nature of the assets being bought and sold, make notes.

  1. Vehicle expense Log

When you use your own vehicle if it’s all the time or sometimes for your business, you would be able to claim a portion of your expenses on your vehicle as a deduction on your business income. The IRS will allow you to calculate it one of two ways:

  1.    Simplified method, will let you apply an IRS-mandated mileage rate to all business miles you would drive in that year. For the tax year 2015, standard mileage deduction would be $0.575 per mile
  2.    Actual expenses method, you would need to add up all your vehicle operating expenses (i.e. gas, lease costs, loan interest, maintenance and repairs, insurance, etc.). Then, divide your miles driven for your business by the total miles driven in that year, then you apply that resulting percentage to your operating costs. That would be your allowable deduction.

Under both of those methods, you would need to keep track of all your business mileage in a log. This can be as simple as writing down dates, any descriptions, and the miles into a blank notebook, or use QuickBooks Self-Employed program to keep track of the mileage and automatically do the  deduction. Whatever method you use, make sure you provide the vehicle log at the end of the year to your accountant.

  1. Home-Office Expenses Summary

If you are using your home as your office and sole place of business and you regularly meet your clients there, you could claim expenses. Those expenses would include a percentage of all your utilities, maintenance expenses, repairs also your home insurance, and mortgage interest or your rent expenses. You would need to calculate your home-office deduction by dividing the square footage of the office space by the square footage of the living area of your house or divide the number of rooms your home office will be using, by the number of rooms in your house. Whichever formula you use, multiply the total home expenses by your home-office percentage. Some accountants will want all of the original receipts, others will want just the summary of your receipts; ask before hand what your accountant will need you to provide so you are ready with those documents come tax time.

You can also use the simplified method to claim your home-office deduction. This method allows you to deduct $5 per square foot of the office space you use in your home for your business.

  1. Mortgage Interest and Property Taxes Form 1098

The mortgage company likely issued you an IRS Form 1098 which at the end of the year summarizes your property-tax payments and mortgage-interest for that year. Your accountant will want this form to claim your mortgage-interest deduction which homeowners are entitled to. Your accountant will also need them as part of your home-office deduction, If you have more than one mortgage, be sure to have a 1098 Form  for each one them.

Everyone knows that tax time can bring about a lot of stress and frustration, but by being prepared and working with us at Consulting Services Inc., we make the overwhelming process of dealing with your taxes easier for you and avoid a few headaches.

Tags: , , , , ,

Areas of Expertise

Non-filer & Delinquent filers

For more Information

Click Here

Non-filer & Delinquent filers

At Consulting Services Tax & Accounting, we know that sometimes life can be complicated, and that can make doing your taxes even more difficult. Sometimes, things can just get away from you, and before you know it, one or more years have gone by. That's why we want to work with you, to make it easier to get caught up and current with your tax filing obligations.

Multistate filers

For more Information

Click Here

Multi-State Filing

Sometimes in life you've got to move around. Your work life can take you to many different places, whether it's a short-term assignment, or a long-term move, this may mean that you will need to file a tax return for multiple states. Many smaller tax preparation firms lack either the expertise or the software to handle multi-state filings. With Consulting Services Tax & Accounting, you can count on us to get all of your tax problems under control, no matter what state filings may be involved.

Small Business

For more Information

Click Here

Home-based Small Business Specialist

If you own a small business, you have enough on your mind just trying to handle your day-to-day affairs and help your business grow. Tax time often adds an even greater burden to the small business owner because the rules for deductibility, depreciation, and how to determine your taxable income can be confusing and time consuming. We want to make tax time easier for you, so you can get back to focusing of the running your business.

Corporate and LLC filing

For more Information

Click Here

Corporate & LLC Guidance

Whether you've owned a small business for a while, or you want to start your new business with a plan for the future, the staff at Consulting Services Tax & Accounting is here to help. We can advise you on the best route to take whether it is the formation of an LLC, Partnership, S-Corp, or a C-Corp, and what the advantages and disadvantages are for each type of entity, so that you'll be prepared to make the best possible choice for your businesses future.

Why Choose Us?

Full service Full Service

As a full service tax preparation firm, not only do we offer professional tax preparation we also offer in house accounting and payroll services. Call us today and we will be happy to set up an appointment for a free 30 minute consultation before we begin working together.

Trust us Year Round Service

Consulting Services Tax & Accounting is available and has regular office hours Monday thru Friday year-round to assist you with any and all tax, accounting and payroll issues that may arise.

Piece of mind Peace of Mind

You can count on Consulting Services Tax & Accounting to provide you with high-quality services and expert advice that will put all of you tax time worries to rest.

Custom care We Are There for You

If you have a unique or difficult tax situation, we are always here to help you. We have seen many different tax scenarios in our 45+ years of service to the Madison area.

Tax News

Marcum Leads Top Firms in Q4 Audit Clients

Top 100 Firm Marcum took the top spot among large audit firms in bringing in new Securities and Exchange Commission audit clients in the fourth quarter of 2015, with 11 new engagements and a net gain of six.

Read More

Google's Tax Deal with U.K. May Be Next in Line for EU Probe

European Union competition chief Margrethe Vestager said Thursday morning she's ready to investigate Google parent Alphabet Inc.'s 130 million-pound ($185.5 million) tax deal with the U.K. if there are complaints. It didn't take long for the first to surface.

Read More

Wyly Lawyer Tells Judge Aggressive Tax Planning Not Illegal

Samuel Wyly's lawyer, fighting a $2.2 billion claim by the Internal Revenue Service, told a skeptical judge that his client's tax planning was "aggressive but not illegal

Read More

EU Sets Sights on Forcing Firms to Pay Nations Tax Where Due

Companies shouldn't be able to get away with paying very low taxes--or none at all--in countries where they earn profits, EU Economic Affairs and Tax Commissioner Pierre Moscovici said as he introduced a package of proposals designed to curb tax evasion.

Read More

© 2016 Consulting Services Tax & Accounting All Rights Reserved