Proudly Serving Madison since 1969

For Immediate Help... Call now!

Consulting Services Tax & Accounting

Experienced Tax Problem Solvers • Specializing in Business & Individual Tax Solutions

Where do I pay my state taxes, I live here and work there?

Posted on: November 16th, 2016 by consultingsrvs No Comments

Where do I pay my state taxes, I live here and work there?


Where do I pay my state taxes, I live here and work there?

You found the job of your dreams, however, the position is in another state. The location is close enough for you to commute to work every day so you wouldn’t have to move, but still, you are  faced with the one question of how and where to pay your state income taxes.

The general rule is that you have to pay non-resident income taxes for that state you work in and pay resident income taxes in the state where you live, all this while filing tax returns for both states. Be that as it may, the general rule has many exceptions. The one exception occurs when one of the states doesn’t impose income taxes. Another exception occurs when a reciprocal agreement prevails between two states.

What if there are States with no State Income Tax?

There are seven states: Alaska, Nevada, Florida, Texas, South Dakota, Washington, and Wyoming that have no income tax at all for residents. There are two states: New Hampshire and Tennessee that tax only on interest income and dividends. If you are working in one of those nine states, but live in one of the other 41 states, including the District of Columbia, that does have state income taxes, generally, you will pay only the resident state income taxes for that state where you are living. As alike, if you are living in one of those nine states and work in a state that has state income tax, you would only have to pay nonresident taxes for that state where you are working.

Here’s an example, say you live in Virginia and work in Tennessee, you would pay the Virginia resident state income taxes. As well as, if you worked in Virginia and lived in Tennessee, you would then pay the Virginia nonresident state income taxes. However, in these cases, you would only have to file a single state income tax return.

States that have Reciprocal Agreements

What if you commute every day to Illinois and live in Wisconsin? It just so happens that Illinois and Wisconsin share what we know as a reciprocal tax agreement. In this case, your Wisconsin employer would deduct the state of Wisconsin taxes from your paycheck, and none for Illinois. Same as if you live in Illinois but work in Wisconsin, your Illinois employer would only deduct Illinois resident state income taxes from your paycheck. In both cases, you would only have to file one state income tax return.

States that do not have Reciprocal Agreements

If you are unfortunate enough to work in a state that has no reciprocal agreement with the state you live in, (for instance, Indiana), then you will have to file your income tax returns for both of the states. However, you would be able to claim a credit on your resident state income tax returns for the state income taxes that you had paid for the nonresident state. The outcome is that you actually pay taxes for only one state, even though you have to deal with the difficulty of filing returns in both the states.

However remember that reciprocity is not an automatic. You need to file a request with your employer to deduct your income taxes based on your state of residence and not where you work. If you do not make a formal request with your employer, you will automatically be taxed by both states and you will be required to file two state tax returns.

When you have to File Multi-State Income Tax Returns

If your tax situation is not complicated and straightforward there are many online tax preparation software programs that come with instructions on how to fill multi-state tax returns. If you are faced with the inconvenience of living in one state and working in another, and filing your taxes on your own seems overwhelming to you, give the daunting task of filing your state taxes to an  attorney.

At Consulting Services Tax & Accounting we are the tax problem solvers and we are ready to help you with all of your tax, accounting, payroll and business needs. We pride ourselves in being able to take any tax problem and break it down to reach an end result of an accurate and completed tax return. We are conveniently located off of University Avenue on Segoe Road, in Madison WI.

Areas of Expertise

Non-filer & Delinquent filers

For more Information

Click Here

Non-filer & Delinquent filers

At Consulting Services Tax & Accounting, we know that sometimes life can be complicated, and that can make doing your taxes even more difficult. Sometimes, things can just get away from you, and before you know it, one or more years have gone by. That's why we want to work with you, to make it easier to get caught up and current with your tax filing obligations.

Multistate filers

For more Information

Click Here

Multi-State Filing

Sometimes in life you've got to move around. Your work life can take you to many different places, whether it's a short-term assignment, or a long-term move, this may mean that you will need to file a tax return for multiple states. Many smaller tax preparation firms lack either the expertise or the software to handle multi-state filings. With Consulting Services Tax & Accounting, you can count on us to get all of your tax problems under control, no matter what state filings may be involved.

Small Business

For more Information

Click Here

Home-based Small Business Specialist

If you own a small business, you have enough on your mind just trying to handle your day-to-day affairs and help your business grow. Tax time often adds an even greater burden to the small business owner because the rules for deductibility, depreciation, and how to determine your taxable income can be confusing and time consuming. We want to make tax time easier for you, so you can get back to focusing of the running your business.

Corporate and LLC filing

For more Information

Click Here

Corporate & LLC Guidance

Whether you've owned a small business for a while, or you want to start your new business with a plan for the future, the staff at Consulting Services Tax & Accounting is here to help. We can advise you on the best route to take whether it is the formation of an LLC, Partnership, S-Corp, or a C-Corp, and what the advantages and disadvantages are for each type of entity, so that you'll be prepared to make the best possible choice for your businesses future.

Why Choose Us?

Full service Full Service

As a full service tax preparation firm, not only do we offer professional tax preparation we also offer in house accounting and payroll services. Call us today and we will be happy to set up an appointment for a free 30 minute consultation before we begin working together.

Trust us Year Round Service

Consulting Services Tax & Accounting is available and has regular office hours Monday thru Friday year-round to assist you with any and all tax, accounting and payroll issues that may arise.

Piece of mind Peace of Mind

You can count on Consulting Services Tax & Accounting to provide you with high-quality services and expert advice that will put all of you tax time worries to rest.

Custom care We Are There for You

If you have a unique or difficult tax situation, we are always here to help you. We have seen many different tax scenarios in our 45+ years of service to the Madison area.

Tax News

Marcum Leads Top Firms in Q4 Audit Clients

Top 100 Firm Marcum took the top spot among large audit firms in bringing in new Securities and Exchange Commission audit clients in the fourth quarter of 2015, with 11 new engagements and a net gain of six.

Read More

Google's Tax Deal with U.K. May Be Next in Line for EU Probe

European Union competition chief Margrethe Vestager said Thursday morning she's ready to investigate Google parent Alphabet Inc.'s 130 million-pound ($185.5 million) tax deal with the U.K. if there are complaints. It didn't take long for the first to surface.

Read More

Wyly Lawyer Tells Judge Aggressive Tax Planning Not Illegal

Samuel Wyly's lawyer, fighting a $2.2 billion claim by the Internal Revenue Service, told a skeptical judge that his client's tax planning was "aggressive but not illegal

Read More

EU Sets Sights on Forcing Firms to Pay Nations Tax Where Due

Companies shouldn't be able to get away with paying very low taxes--or none at all--in countries where they earn profits, EU Economic Affairs and Tax Commissioner Pierre Moscovici said as he introduced a package of proposals designed to curb tax evasion.

Read More

© 2016 Consulting Services Tax & Accounting All Rights Reserved